Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Does it get any better than this???

Our weekend was one that we haven't had in a long time. My sister's birthday was last week and her friend (who has a 2 and a half year old) surprised her with a weekend trip to San Diego. So my mom offered to watch said 2 year old while they go out of town.

A year ago we watched Kyler over night. Our lives were a lot different then and Kyler was only one. I didn't despise my job yet, I just hated it. I was still on a high of being married to my best friend (we had only been married about 3 months). We had another newly wed couple living with us, Kevin and Nanci. So having Kyler
overnight was not a big deal.

Our life now... Kevin and Nanci moved out. I quit my wretched job and now have a very Jessica Friendly one. I'm still on a high of being married to Jason. Mom and her big dog, that likes to bark at nearly everything, and cat who has gotten a lot more vocal lately, moved in. So, the house has been a lot louder than it was before with 2 newly wed couples. Kyler is also now 2 and a half and running around and screaming at everything. After many inquiries, I've been told, that's just what 2 year olds do. *sigh*

The last night Kyler stayed with us, as I was playing on the internet, I could hear Jason snoring in our bedroom and I could hear Kyler breathing/sleeping a few feet away from me. It was such a peaceful loving moment for me. I loved my life and relished in those few moments. I thought that the only way life could get better was if I had my own kid(s) and had my own houseful of snoring sleeping beauties and beasts.

Then the next day (today), I had the day off. I dinked around the house getting ready for the bug guy to come and have a Lia Sophia party. Jason got home about 1. Loved seeing him. My mom ran off to work about 3. Jason and I had a few hours to hang out with each other. We snuggled on our living room couch talking/chatting. Sometimes we have real important things to talk about, like the price of wasabi peas in China, and other times there are insignificant things we talk about, like Al Gore and Global Warming. Today we were talking about absolutely nothing. Then, for a moment, we were about to move on to a new topic, but we just sat there. In silence. The dog was laying on my mom's bed sleeping. The cat was outside prolly killing another bird. Even George, who is generally trying to break out of his tank, was basking in his light. It was a perfect moment. I can't remember the last time I had such a perfect moment. Yes, the night before was pretty awesome, but how often does a girl really get to indulge in listening to just her and her hubby breathe? How often do you lay there wide awake, not going to sleep and can hear his heartbeat? The last time I remember a true moment like that was over a few years ago when we first were dating and living in our apartments across town. It's nice to know that years later, you can still relish in those kinds of moments.

Sorry if this is too mooshy for some of you, but I think I needed to write this more for me than for you. To remind me that life is always going to be crazy, but those few moments you have of quiet sanity are worth the days of hectic loud insanity.

No comments: