Saturday, December 12, 2009

New experience I never want to relive...

My last post stems from Tuesday afternoon. I wanted to blog about my situation on Tuesday at United Blood, but hadn't had the emotional strength to do so. I believe I have enough now.

I take pride in being a platinum donator at United Blood. That means in the last year I've donated at least 3 times. I never gave blood before due to a terrible fear of needles, but I figured, maybe by donating and being stabbed by a needle every few months would help me conquer my fear. Also a year ago I was having blood tests ran every other week it seemed like, so now, it's no big deal.

Jason has never gone with me, 1. he's usually working, 2. in high school I remember him saying that he tried giving blood and because he's always had high blood pressure, they said not to donate. We've been working a lot on his blood pressure and we have it under control most days. So, I convinced him to come with me to my donation appointment on Tuesday, December 8, and give if he could. He agreed (like he wouldn't?!).

I was thinking that I wouldn't be able to donate because mother nature and I had been visiting for the week prior and I figured my iron would be low. The attendant helping me told me that I couldn't; My iron was at an 11.7 and you need to be at at least 30. So, she told me to reschedule for a few weeks. Jason on the other hand, because I wasn't staying for my double like we'd hoped was going to give a full blood donation.

They had us snack in the snack area while they prepped his seat. He filled up on lots of juices and cookies. Figures. As we were over there, I asked him what blood type he had. Without hesitation he said B+. I laughed cause I thought, that's way too coincidental for my always happy positive Jason to have B+ blood type. So I told him to tell me the truth. He ran through a few other ones and I told him to stop messing around and tell me what he has. He then told me again with his "I've already told you the truth smirk", "B+". I didn't believe him and made him show me his donor card. All be dang! He is B+. (For those not getting this, I was thinking "Be Positive".)

They took him to his spot and I pulled up a chair next to him. We were all talking and joking and having a great time, well as much fun as you can have while a needle is being jammed into you/your spouse. There was about a half pint of blood in the sack when there was a clot somewhere in the tube to the sack. The attendant was trying to fix it, but every time she thought she had, it would clog again. Another gal, very beastly thing, came over and started jerking with the needle. She pushed it in, pulled it out, and repeated the action many times hoping to free whatever the clot was. In the meantime, they ask me to get Jason some juice to help him focus on something else other than this lady butchering his vein. He tells me he wants pineapple juice so I go get him some.

I come back seconds later and they're still trying to figure this out. The lady ends up trying to get him a new bag and as she goes away, Jason drifts into la la land. That's right... He passed out! He had been bracing himself from the pain and forgot to breathe.

I got so scared! I kept tapping his face trying to get him to snap out of it. Nothing. I started squishing his cheeks together (cause this annoys him). Nothing. As he's laying there, facing me, pale white, I start to really freak cause his eyes are blank yet he's looking at me. I saw some ceiling popcorn in his eye, went to get it out (yes, as he's passed out) and he didn't even flinch! HE HATES PEOPLE TOUCHING HIS FACE! So, now I'm getting real nervous. He's been out for at least a minute. He is snoring so I know he's breathing, but can't we close his eyes?!

By this time, the beastly woman is back and telling me that I need to go have a seat and let her take care of him. I wanted to punch her cause she's the one that put him in that situation!! The sweet nice attendant then starts telling me he's coming out of it. I asked how she knew and she said cause the color is coming back to him. REALLY?! His eyes rolled in the back of his head, his eye lids close and he turned hot pink. THAT'S COMING OUT OF IT?!

A few moments later he opens his eyes and they were asking him questions.
Attendant: Who are you?
Jason: Jason. Who are you?
Attendant: Where are you?
Jason: Donating blood. Where do you think we are?

Laughter emerges and the attendant looks at me to ask if he's always this funny and through a hysterical outburst, I answered, yes. I was already having an emotional day, and I had been holding it pretty good, but that pushed me over the edge.

The only people I've seen pass out/faint are those stupid girls in plays or on TV and THAT IS NOT how it is in real life. Maybe that's why I try not to watch TV anymore. Jason felt terrible for making me cry, and he wanted to get up and hug me, but then I felt terrible for making him feel terrible, which then made me cry more. lol

The poor guy, I wouldn't leave his side for the rest of the day. He kept telling me he was fine, and it was everything I could do to let him shower alone. I couldn't imagine not having Jason in my life. I try not to think about later on in life and not having him with me. I refuse to accept life without him. I pray that when we go it will be together, like in an accident (quick and painful), or like the Notebook (peaceful and ready).

Most of you have people in your life that mean everything to you. Let them know how much you care about them. Tell them when you're thinking about it. Tell them often, cause you may not get the chance again.

2 comments:

Robinson Family said...

Holly crab cakes Bat Man!!! So glad he's okay, and that you are too!

vegas mom said...

wow, that's horrible! I have a bit of a history of passing out (long story) and clayton everytime feels as scared as you were (with good reason!) tell that silly monkey to breath next time!!! hahaha