Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Friends... How many of us have them?

What characteristics does someone have to have to call you a friend?

Some may answer, they need to call me once a day. They need to have the same interests as me. They need my help. I need their help. Someone who likes the same movies as me. Someone who can finish my sentence (meaning the people that say "gosh" to my "oh my". That doesn't count, everyone knew what the next word was going to be). Some people just want friends no matter how great of a friend they are just so they can feel loved and accepted. I am more of the, I will talk with friends, hang out with friends, but only my best friends learn about all my skeletons.

Have you ever gone shopping for a friend? I have. Though there were many times I hated my move to Missouri, it was the best thing that could've happened to me. One of the greatest things I came back to Vegas with, was a friendship that would last forever.

While being in Missouri, I also came to realize what a friend is. My third grade teacher taught me many great life lessons. The one that has helped me become who I am is the great saying "Treat others as you wish to be treated." I realized this meant in EVERY aspect. It didn't apply just to, if I don't hit them, they won't hit me. It applied to, I'm going to give you the best kind of friendship I know how to give, because that's the kind of friendship I want in return.

Though I know many people, and at one point or another hung out with everyone, I consider a "best" friend someone who will be as honest with me as I am with them, even if it may hurt your feelings. Best friends will let you know that they saw your boyfriend kissing some other girl on the bus. Best friends tell you, "Jess, I know you better than you know yourself and if you kiss that boy, it's not going to end well" (and when you do end up kissing that boy, and it fails miserably, they are there to help you gather up what's left of your broken heart and piece it back together. Best friends give you something to look up to, that makes you want to be a better person (I'm not talking about jealousy, that's completely different). Best friends help you sing the song in your heart when you have forgotten the words.

This may all sound so cheesy to you, but I do have a point. This afternoon I went with a friend to go get some G's (religious clothing). She is going through the temple for the first time and I am so excited for her. She and I have found each other in fun times in our lives. While shopping she was trying to take in everything and I was trying to give some input (wanted or not) and also trying to keep her girls from hitting everything with their umbrellas. Her family is far away and I love being a fill in sister. She is someone I see everyday and never get sick of cause later today we went on a movie date.
Before heading to the movies, I logged on facebook and saw that another dear friend has a mother being admitted to a hospice. This girl and I butted heads in the beginning of our friendship, but I care for her just like a sister. I've been talking with her here and there about her mom and life yet, something told me to have Jason call her. They were friends in high school and after, and though I'm sure she would've loved a phone call from me, I knew she needed Jason. I'm not sure what all was said. I do know that I have a peace in my heart for her. Jason said that they had a good chat, and good food, but overall, he thinks she's a little calmer.

Christmas was weird for me this year. I didn't have the spirit I generally do which is overwhelming to most people. This was the first year I didn't get to celebrate with my sister. My real sister, Jenny. Not to freak out, she's ok. She just went to Mexico with my brother and his wife to celebrate the holiday. I didn't think it would bother me as much as it did, but I know that her absence was a lot of my "whatever" attitude. I think the reason we were sisters is cause in life, we probably wouldn't have been friends. She and I were very opposite growing up, and as a little sister, there was a lot that I took and was afraid to dish out. However, there could not have been a more perfect sister given to me. She and I talk about everything! It's only taken us 30 years to get where we are, but I wouldn't change it. A lot of people take her the wrong way. They think she's mean and bratty. When it comes down to it though, wouldn't you rather have someone say, "Don't wear that, that color is terrible on you!" on your preparation for a date with a guy than someone who doesn't say anything and let's you walk out of the house looking like a fool? And, as for bratty, she knows what she wants. If she's going to be so picky about certain things she buys, you know that whatever gift she's getting for you is going to be the one that she would get for herself.

When shopping for a best friend, make sure you get a true genuine friend. These are people that care just as much for your happiness as you do theirs. This means, if I love playing board games but you would rather go watch a movie in the theaters, instead of making me watch a movie with you every time we're together, let me have a board game night. It means posting a not so flattering pic of you on the web, because it's an adorable pic of them.

In college I seemed to date all premissionaries. It's just what I did so I could finish college and not get tied down and having to drop out cause wifing and mommying were too much. One guy in particular was a really great friend of mine. I told him I wasn't going to wait for him, but I secretly wanted to. However, life happened and 6 months before he came home, I was living with my high school crush. A friend of mine dragged me to a singles dance and here came my return missionary and I broke down in his arms. For a year and a half I went through hell with my boyfriend cause he could not compare to this return missionary in any way. It had finally ended between us and the day I called the return missionary hoping to start up our old flame, he told me he was engaged. I admit, I was crushed for about 1 millionth of a second, and then I was overjoyed! How great is it that someone I care about so deeply found someone that makes him completely happy. I didn't think there was anyone that compared to that Return Missionary, but sorry Todd, Jason outdid your kissing and singing. lol (Call when you guys get back from Sacramento so we can hang out.)

Being a good friend doesn't mean that you always get things your way. It means you should hurt when your friend hurts. It's crying with them when they are overflowing with happiness. It's kidnapping them for a night cause their kids are driving them crazy. It's letting them pack your stuff, move it out and into their house cause you couldn't do it yourself. It's.... being the kind of friend you want them to be to you.

I am so thankful for the friends I have. The family that are my friends and the friends that are practically family.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Jessica I love you and I am thankful for you and your family as well. I have been blessed with great friends in the last 2 years that I wouldn't want to live with out. Thank you!! xoxoxoxo

Andrea said...

I love you Jess!!! I am grateful for your friendship and glad that we can be honest with eachother. I will always appreciate the help you and Jason were when we were moving. You guys are the best!! :)

Mandi Roth said...

Sweet post!! you are the best friend anyone could ask for. You are the true meaning of friendship.