Wednesday, March 31, 2010

It's starting...

After finding out that everything is great with Jason, I've been waiting patiently for Aunt Flo to show up. She has finally gotten here after a few weeks of being late, and I'm way excited about this because.... I START CLOMID!


I'm a little nervous going on it. It seems like you have the normal side effects from most fertility enhancing or unenhancing drugs, except one of the side effects that I'm most concerned about is hair loss. Our kids definitely do not need 2 bald parents! I know it will be ok though. I have quite a bit of it, and it's not guaranteed that I will have that side effect.


I had to call my doctor today, so I did that. And I figured I should read up more on exactly what I should be expecting. I signed a release that was explained pretty much as, "You know there is a chance for multiples? Yes? Sign here." I read that paper today. I read every word and the last paragraph kind of riled me up.


The paper work mentions multiple gestations, but this is where I REALLY understood the situation, 'As a result, gestation of three or more fetuses are frequently reduced to twins by a process called Selective Termintation.' WHAT?! Continuing, 'This method involves the insertion of a needle through the mother's abdomen into one or more of the sacs, so that only twins remain. This procedure apperas to be effective, and preliminary reports have suggested that its safety record is acceptable. However, the procedure is quite new and must be considered experimental. The possibility that Selective Termination will result in loss of all fetuses must be considered.'


Oh Shiza! Lately I've been thinking of the idea of twins. I use to want them all growing up, and then I realized, that's a lot of work, so I decided that I wanted one at a time. ( i know, I know. Like we really have a choice.) After knowing that I'd be going on Clomid, I've been trying to prep my brain for the great possibility of twins. Which made it seem like a joke that for the last 2 years, I potentially could've had 2 kids, or 1 kid and then one more on the way, but no, we want to play catch up and give you two at a time. Thinking of the catch-up idea really set me off the other day at dinner when Jason and I thought of how great a tax write-off blessing and home loan modification blessing the kids would be. HA HA HA


However, when I read that there could be three or more, and that if it did happen we'd have to terminate the extras, I was crushed. I'm not for abortion. Never have been for it. It's a touchy topic so I'm not going to get on my soap box or anything, but I've been wanting to get pregnant for so long and when I do get pregnant, if with more than 3, how could I choose which ones I would need to terminate? So, I pray this today, please, only let me get pregnant with one or two. I do not want to make that choice. AND, it still says that it can result in the loss of all fetuses. So please, please, please, only one or two.

3 comments:

Tamarama said...

So after re-reading that paragraph about multiples a few times, I have a question. I saw it says that selective termination is "frequently" used. Does that mean that you'd HAVE to have it done? Or that lots of people have it done and you could CHOOSE to have it done? They couldn't force you to do that! It would just be so wrong! If it's something you're worried about, I'd check with your doctor for some clarification. And if you get pregnant with a few and they want to reduce it to just two, you should tell them where to stick it.

That's what I think, at least. :)

Family von Graf said...

Ya, I'm not sure. I know the higher in multiples you get the more risky it is for the mother and babies to survive.

Jason and I tried to talk about it after he got off work the other day and before scouts, and we still have to continue our conversation. There's quite a few things confusing to me... such as, they put you on a low dose to start with and if you don't get pregnant, then the next month they up it. When they first started prescribing Clomid, did they just say, ok, we're starting you at 200mg and see what happens and that's how they were getting LOTS of fetuses??

Hopefully only being on 50mg will only allow 2 or three. If they try to get rid of one because there's 3, I would have severe issues with that. There's still a lot of researching and everything to do. (sigh)

Mosley family said...

Hey,
I was blog surfing and came across this! I did a month of Clomid. That wasn't the month I got pregnant though. And no twins. And no bad side effects. All the best!!!