Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Out at the Farm...

My dad had to make a day trip to Utah and asked if I would mind taking care of the animals. As usual, I was delighted. I showed up to feed and these were the changes I saw:
  • Ginger, one of my favorite horses, now gone

  • 2 new horses, Sheeza and Vixen (Vixen looks nothing like a reindeer)

  • bunnies caged up every where and still some wild ones running around

  • goat by the entry gate

  • baby bunny bunnies every where

  • duck limping

Wait, wait... what was that??? A GOAT BY THE ENTRYWAY?! I called my dad and at first he told me, "there shouldn't be any goat there" and I was like, "well dad, that would explain why she looks so sad and mad as she sits there. She must have snuck in while you guys had the gate open and now she can't get home."

But, gullible girl that I am, he then told me she was supposed to be there. I could hardly stand my excitement. I had a goat right in front of me!!! I've seen goats before and even petted them at petting zoos and regular zoos and stuff, but here was one in my dad's backyard! Jason couldn't get to the house quick enough so I could surprise him. I wanted to call him, but I knew if I did I would spill the beans about Gertrude. That's what I named her. =)

Jason called me to tell me he should be there shortly and I had to get off the phone so quick cause seriously, I can't keep anything a secret or a surprise. As soon as he showed up though, I took him out to see the happenings of the farm. Every thing seemed normal, and then, there it was. The shock, excitement and awe in his face. HE SAW HER!

Now, earlier when I discovered her, she wouldn't let me near her. I walked in slow motion towards her, but she'd bolt the other way. I sat down thinking she'd come to me, but no. However, like most kids (not baby goats) and animals, Jason was allowed to pet her and feed her right away. Then, he went to sit down and she came up and starting nudging him to give her more attention, similar to Diesel, Jenny's dog.

Jason called my dad to tell him he liked the new addition and to find out what her name is since I failed in that matter. Come on, I was excited to play with a goat! We found out her name is Ariel, but I'm still gonna call her Gertrude. It's more fitting. We also found out she is not pregnant and she is indeed a she. When I first saw her, her beard made me think she was a he. A very fat he.

Gertie, what I call her for short, is an African Pygmy Goat. She is mainly black, has some white around her hooves and a stripe down her spine. Her goatee is gray. Since I had no clue she would be there I was not prepared with a camera, but this is the best pic I could find on the Internet. I will have to take a pic of her next time I'm out there.