Friday, July 30, 2010

St George Temple

First off, I am so bummed that I couldn't find my camera today! We have a goal that we want to get a map of the US and maybe have it be North America. Every time we go to a temple, take our pic outside it and post it on our temple wall. Well, I quickly got over being bummed cause I looked like crap and it's a close temple so we will be able to go again soon.

The reason I'm blogging...
Saturdays of the month. The temple has been closed since July 19 and won't open again until the 2As most of you know, Jason and I volunteer at the Las Vegas Temple on the 4th and 5thnd of August. I don't think we've missed a month since getting our endowments and getting sealed so when we heard that we wouldn't be working this month, I tried to make time for us at the beginning of the month, but it didn't work out.

I worked today. I was off at 230. I kept hoping all week that if Jason got off in time, we could maybe go to the St George temple and get our "monthly" tradition in. Jason left his phone at home today and I kept stressing about his day (he had no clue what I was planning) thinking he wouldn't be home til 5 or something and then we wouldn't be able to go. As I was leaving work, I called his phone to see if for some chance he was home and it went to voice mail. Bummer.

As I was walking out to the car, my phone started ringing and it was JASON!!! He was home! I told him my plan and he jumped in the shower. I got home, checked times for sessions and we got on the road about 4 (5 UT time). We arrived about 7 UT time and I had the greatest feeling of accomplishment, peace and comfort. It was definitely interesting walking in the Endowed side instead of the Baptistry side.

I've been to the St George temple a few times for baptism purposes. The St George temple is the oldest operating temple we have. I think it is so beautiful. Big, sharp corners, neat, castle like. It's amazing from the outside. OH!! AND, it has a stinking revolving door!!! I vaguely remember the Baptistry. It was nearly 10 years ago that I went there last. And, I wasn't as big into history as I am now.

Everyone was so nice, as always. I must have had a sign on my forehead saying, "I've never been here. Please direct me in the right direction." Everyone was so friendly in telling me where the ladies dressing room is. Let me tell you... I love the dressing room!!! It was so orderly, personal and wonderful.

So, I get changed and as I try not to look around too aimlessly, there were some nice ladies there to give me my info and send me in the right direction. As I sat in the chapel, waiting on Jason and the session to start, I looked at the worn pews around me. How old are they? Looking around the room, everything had a classic feel to it. I then started pretending like I was in the Jane Austen times because everything surrounding me fit her to a tee!

The room was a little muggy. I'm sure the AC ducts aren't 100%. It felt like we were being cooled my swamp coolers. I was excited when we finally got to go into the veil room. What an awesome room! Much cooler too. LOL

The curtains, the carpet, how tiny the chairs were. I could definitely feel the history surrounding me. It was an incredible feeling. Then, as we went into the Celestial room, it definitely does not compare to the sparkliness of the Vegas temple, but it was perfect all the same. It felt like I was in a "formal sitting room" that meant sooo much more than that! When I see rooms like that, I think of the old days, and I mean OLD days when people had balls (as in dances/balls). The Jane Austen days. Sitting rooms, and organized appropriate dancing, manners, etiquette. I think if it were to be sparkly like the Vegas temple it would take away from the romanticism that thrives there.

We made our way back out the revolving door and home by 1030. Yes, it was a long evening, but it was something we needed.

No comments: