Saturday, February 6, 2010

Kickin it Old School

Last week I got a call from the air conditioning people who replaced our A/C system 2 years ago wanting to do their 6 month check up. I wasn't available last week, so I picked Wednesday this week hoping they would show on the latter part of 2-6. As luck has it, they called at 1:40 to let me know they were on their way. Sheesh!

(Mark Darcy, Fitzwiliam Darcy, Lord Wessex, He
nry Dashwood, Jamie Bennett, any part he plays he's very dreamy. In fact I loved Austenland before I even started reading just because of the dedication - For Colin Firth You're a really great guy, but I'm married, so I think we should just be friends.)

I called my mom to see if she would let him do what he needs to do cause I won't be home til about 2:30 ish and he may be gone by then. Well, situations happen and I didn't get home til about 5:30, but Jason got home. The tech told him about a crack that "might" be in our furnace. They never actually said there was one, but they said over time there will be a crack and we'll need a new system.

Jason and I talked the whole situation over and came to the conclusion that we are good with no heat since our fireplace works and I like to snuggle up to him at night anyway. And seriously, there's only a month or two left of cold weather. We will stick it out, save money and replace it next year if needed.

Jason turned on what we thought was the heater, but still today, after 3 days, our house temperature hasn't seen the 70s. It hasn't even seen the 80s! That's right. When I got home from work today, the house is sitting at a slightly chilly 62. I am all for keeping it cold, my family is half polar bear, but I do like a little heat and since my heater went to the movies with a friend, I lit our fireplace. (I later found out from mom that the tech blew out our pilot light.)

I finished up some homework tonight and needed some reading time. (I have found a huge relaxation in reading. A lot of the stuff I read is almost better than TV. There is still some TV that is better than books, but I've been reading good books lately.) I borrowed Austenland from the library and started reading it a few days ago. I haven't gotten too far into it since I have school work and I work quite a bit this week, but after my studies, I picked it up, pulled the rocking chair in front of the fire and began to read.

What I love about Shannon Hale, the author of Austenland, Princess Academy and Goose Girl, is that she's easy to read, but so detailed that I lose myself int eh story. The story is of a girl obsessed with Pride and Prejudice who goes on a "holiday" to Pembrook Park to live like they would have in Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. The girl, Jane, is getting used to using lamps and candles as lighting and getting use to all the new clothes and way of talking, etc. I think it was even more fun to just get lost in the book by sitting by a fire that is my only source of heat at the moment.

(Aren't these girls absolutely beautiful?! I would have loved to live in those days where the most important thing of the day was what bonnet to wear with which ribbons. Oh, and to learn how to hoist your boulders up in one of those corsets wouldn't have been too bad either. I would not have the terrible posture I do today if I had worn corsets my whole life! I just love the hair styles, the clothes, their MANNERS!!!)

I had to keep changing my feet to be taken off the step so my cute little lamb slippers wouldn't burn. I kept having flashes of Jo Marches dress being burned from sitting too close to the fire. Yes, I would be a Jo. Always too close to fire. I must say though, it was quite relaxing. In so much that I can barely keep my eyes awake any longer and must retire to a freezing bed that will be warmed up by me and my heating pad. HA HA HA

No comments: