Thursday, April 22, 2010

11/3 versus 1 1/3

I was really wanting waffles for dinner the other night. Waffles and French Toast are my favorite breakfast food and would eat them cold, warm, old or fresh any time, any place, any day.

As I was preparing the batter, I looked at the instructions and it said

2 cups mix
11/3 cups water

Being that I was using the generic brand, I thought, "Gee, they want me to use my 4th grade converting fractions skills." So I poured in 3 and 2/3 cups water. After stirring the batter and getting all the clumps out, I started thinking the batter was kinda runny. Actually, it was really runny. I tried calling my mom and she wasn't answering. Luckily my friend Gretchen called and said, "I think it's probably 1 and 1/3 cups."

Oh.

She was right. Looking at the box again, there is a very small, and I mean TINY space between the ones. I poured the first round of batter down the drain and the second batter turned out a perfect golden brown.

No comments: